Monday, September 3, 2007

13 states to go

Every once in a blue moon, the topic of how many states you've been to comes up and everyone in the discussion tries to name them all and no doubt fails miserably b/c that's just way too much information to rattle off the top of your head. But that's where the interweb comes in handy. A simple google search of "how many states have you been to" yields exactly what I wanted. A list of states. I check them off and it gives me this:




I'm pretty happy with this. Obviously there is a hole i need to fill and and I desperately need to Hawaii and Alaska but it's a beginning.

Try it out: http://douweosinga.com/projects/visitedstates

For the record, the criteria I chose to use for "Visiting a State"

  • You must walk in it. Flying over it does not count, nor does boating in its waters
  • Airports do not count as visiting a state. They are like embassies. Or like Switzerland. Whatever, they are not part of the state.
  • I get a little fuzzy if you ask me if driving through a state counts. Fortunately for me, i've never driven through a state without stopping at least to , stretch my legs, fill up the gas tank or graba quick bite. So these are all states I've been in and done SOMETHING in.

1 comment:

adam said...

I decided to do mine and came out with only 39. I tried to paste the image in here but they wouldn't let me. Apparently I haven't been to as many states as I had originally thought, though WV is coming soon!