Monday, March 31, 2008

For those of you who remember my '89 Camry

Back in high school, I proudly drove a gorgeous '89 camry. It looked like this but black and with different hubcaps. Oh yah, and fuzzy dice:

Now, the fun thing about my car is that while driving, without any effort, you could pull the key out of the ignition with no discernible effect on the ride, or my passenger's safety. In fact, the ignition was so worn thin that you could actually start it with anything that resembled a car key. Honda keys worked especially well.

Anyhow, apparently I'm not the only one. This poor bastard had his '89 Camry stolen THREE TIMES in 6 years and got it back all three times. The LAPD points out why the propensity for 89 Camry auto theft:

I get some helpful information during one of my calls to the LAPD's Northeast Division, where an officer points out that Camrys from the late 1980s were "made to be stolen." This, it turns out, is an understatement.

Almost any key, if shaved properly, will turn the lock of a 1989 Camry, law enforcement experts tell me. By now, the lock on my car is so abused and misshapen that an errant tree branch might do the trick.
Fortunately, our car was never stolen, not even once... but after all these years it's nice to hear about the trials and tribulations of other 89 Camry owners. I wonder if he can't put his passenger window down.. or if his trunk fills with water when it rains.

1 comment:

J.V. said...

I didn't know your '89 Camry, but the fact that it was "made to be stolen" is hilarious!

Too bad I don't know anyone that's driving one. That would have been a great April Fools prank.